Scope and Contents
This collection is composed of one box consisting of correspondence and financial materials, including receipts, checks, balance sheets, bank statements, and statements of administration of properties.
Materials vary from poor to fair conditions and are very brittle.
- 1925 - 1928
Conditions Governing Use
The materials represented in this finding aid have been made available for research, teaching and private use. For these purposes, you may reproduce (print, make photocopies, or download) these items without prior permission on the condition that you provide proper attribution of the source in all copies.
Please contact the Newton Gresham Library's Special Collections and University Archives department to request permissions to reproduce materials for any other purpose, or to obtain information regarding the copyright status of a particular digital image, text, audio or video recording.
Biographical / Historical
Claude Bolin Farrington attended Sam Houston Normal Institute and completed his education in 1893. In September of 1901, Farrington became a faculty member at SHNI for the Department of Chemistry. Farrington continued teaching chemistry as the institute changed its name to Sam Houston State Teachers College. He married Gladys Farrington.
In 1958 the new science building at SHSTC was named in honor of Claude Bolin Farrington, the Farrington Science Building or the Farrington Building. This new science building housed the Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics Departments. Facilities within the building included laboratories, a planetarium, and a celestial observatory. In 1985 the observatory moved to Country Campus due to encroaching light from the expanding city and campus, and later in 1997, it moved off Highway 19 near Riverside.
Before the construction of the Farrington Building, science classes were held in the Science Building from 1916, moving the science classes from Austin Hall. The Science Building is now the Bobby K. Marks Administration Building (also known as the Marks Administration Building).
In 2002, the Board of Regents approved the funds for renovations and the construction of an addition to the building. Renovations to Farrington Building were initially reserved for the first floor. In 2004 the rest of the building was approved and completed in 2006. In 2003, the addition to Farrington was redesigned as a separate facility which became the Chemistry and Forensic Sciences Building located near Farrington. Construction started on March 28, 2004, and completed in September 2005.
The Farrington Pit receives its name by being close to the Farrington Building. It is the site of the original Education Building, which was removed in 1983 due to foundation issues.
1 boxes (Flat grey archival box.)
Language of Materials
This collection is arranged by content.
Located in the Univesity Archives, Newton Gresham Library, room 400.
- Department of Chemistry
- Farrington Collection
- Farrington Science Building
- Farrington, C.B.
- Farrington, Claude Bolin
- Farrington, Gladys
- Sam Houston Normal Institute- Faculty
- Sam Houston Normal Institute-- Alumni
- Sam Houston Normal Institute-- Department of Chemistry
- Sam Houston Normal Institute-- Education Building
- Sam Houston Planetarium
- Sam Houston State Teachers College-- Country Campus
- Sam Houston State University-- Bobby K. Marks Administration Building
- Sam Houston State University-- Farrington Pit
- Farrington Collection
- Language of description
- Script of description
- James Patton from the Walker County Historical Commission.